Crepe Paper Rose Pomander ball instructions
Pomander Materials: crepe paper (duh!), ball (foam or crumpled paper), glue gun, ribbon
1. I made a ball from crumpled paper and tape (I could also have used a foam ball but I didn't have any on hand so I improvised). I was wondering if my homemade ball would work but it did just fine. Make sure you make the ball as round as you can or it'll look weird!
2. I cut strips of crepe paper to lengths of 24 inches. It's better to cut several at a time so you don't have to keep stopping to make more.
3. K, this is the hardest part of the project. . .making the rose. I tried to illustrate as best I could.
Remember to twist and go around at the same time. Glue the "layers" together every so often. Repeat until you've used up the entire strip. WARNING: The rose-making process is very time consuming!!
Here's some finished ones. Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.
Here's the back of a finished rose. You see that little tail there? Just take some scissors and snip it off so that it'll lay nicely on the ball.
4. When you've made a few roses, you can start gluing them to the ball. I used a roll of tape to hold my ball for me.
5. Attach the ribbon to the ball. I used a piece of wire and bent it into a U shape. I poked it through the ribbon and into the ball. It worked just fine. Do what works!
And here's the finished pomander ball!
So pretty hung together aren't they?
Crepe Paper Rose Topiary instructions
Topiary Materials: same as pomander ball materials except you also need a dowel or stick, a cup or flower pot of some kind and floral foam (packing foam or even rocks).
1. Prepare your flower pot or cup. I had a tiny terra cotta pot laying around. It was painted a hideous brown color! UGH! I painted it a color that would match the topiary.
2. After the paint dries, put a piece of floral foam in it.
3. Push a dowel or stick into your finished Crepe Paper Rose Ball. I stuck it in half way so it would be solid.
4. Lay some crepe paper in folds over the floral foam.
5. Push the topiary into the middle of the crepe paper and the floral foam in the pot.
6. Tie a bow on the dowel with some pretty ribbon and Voila! You've got yourself a pretty Valentine's topiary!
Crepe Paper (on-hand) = FREE
Faux foam ball = FREE
Wooden Dowel = FREE
Mini flower pot (on-hand) = FREE
Ribbon (on-hand) = FREE
Floral foam (on-hand) = FREE