New Blog

.......................................................NEW BLOG...check us out.......................................................

FIRST TIME VISITOR?

FIRST TIME VISITOR?

Click on the page links below and learn how Knocking it Off can help you BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE at getting it for "AS FREE AS CAN BE."

Sunday, January 23, 2011

How To: Handpainted Mirror


This is the hand painted mirror...
as seen in "Take a Tour: The Front Room.
Once again...this is a project I did a while ago so I don't have all the steps in picture form...

BUT...

the GREAT NEWS is...

 it is SUPER EASY!


You don't need anything special!

Supply List:
  • measuring tape (to center it)
  • masking tape (to mark your painting area)
  • paint brush
  • paint (nothing special-I used acrylic paint-bought at Walmart)
  • a mirror (or something else) to paint on...DUH!








Quick Steps:
  1. measure
  2. tape
  3. paint
Detailed info:
(I recreated the steps on a board painted black for easier viewing...which I will be using for a future project):
  1. I measured the mirror to find the center (both ways). I taped across the mirror.


  
    2. I used the masking tape to mark off my area (measuring the same distance away from the center mark).


     3. I went back and ripped the tape away from the center mark where I would be painting.
    

4. Paint the lettering. 
I painted over the masking tape when making the "g". 
Paint carefully and slowly.  You need to keep the mirror flat or the paint will run/spread out.
But, if you make a mistake...wipe it away and try again. 
Thank goodness it's glass and easy to clean up for a redo.
     5. I removed the masking tape guide lines and filled in the missing spots
(in the letter "g" where I had painted over the masking tape).
     6. Let it dry fully. 
I painted over my first layer (because I didn't like the effect of a single layer.  I felt it was too thin).


Tada! 
Custom painted mirror

FREE


That's it!
measure, tape, paint

(p.s. I use this technique on all of my hand painted items. 
I used tape on the mirror because I couldn't draw lines)

Yes, I did it free hand...and as you can see it's not perfect (which doesn't really bother me)...although my husband always teases me that the "g" is crooked. 
I asked him if he wanted to do it and of course he said no (duh). 
It's special because it can't be bought anywhere. 
No one else has it...which makes it one of a kind...and...I made it all by my self!!! 

I think that too many times, too many people run to the store to buy pre-made items. 
They have no attachment to it and it has little to no personal meaning to them.
Just imagine...a home filled with items handmade by YOU. 
Every day you would look around and see all the beautiful things YOU made and feel a deep sense of joy and accomplishment.

Mileka :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...